Greater Manchester Police are investigating the death of a man who was taken ill at The Warehouse Project in the early hours of Saturday, 25th September. The death follows recent warnings about high-strength pills following hospitalisations and two deaths in English clubs in August.
Drug testing charity The Loop has issued a warning to UK clubbers about identical-looking pills which actually contain different chemical substances.
Scientists testing drugs at this month's Parklife festival in Manchester came across four sets of pills in circulation that looked like they were part of the same batch, but were actually made with various different drugs.
The Loop has warned that this is a problem as people might purchase more pills following a good experience, and end up with something different that could harm them, depending on dosage.
The Cause is holding a fundraiser event for drug safety and harm reduction charity The Loop this Sunday, 15th August.
Warnings have been issued in a number of UK cities about a batch of "extremely strong" blue pills emblazoned with the Tesla logo that are currently in circulation.
The UK Government is being urged to support drug testing at festivals to increase safety following a Digital, Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) select committee meeting last month.
Five people have been left “critically ill” after Parklife festival due to high-strength ecstasy, leading police to issue a warning.
The 'Skype' tablets are said to have around three times the dose of MDMA normally found in pills of this type, with tests showing 250-300mg present.
During the event, which took place in Manchester's Heaton Park last weekend with around 80,000 people in attendance, drug awareness and testing charity The Loop posted a photo of the tablets to Twitter with a note to revellers after they had been linked to a series of welfare cases.
Two people have died after attending Sydney, Australia festival, Defqon.1.
23-year-old Joseph Pham and a 21-year-old woman were pronounced dead at Nepean hospital after having collapsed at the annual hardstyle festival, according to a police report. Both festival-goers, from western Sydney and Melbourne respectively, died from suspected drug overdoses.
The whole point about harm minimisation is admitting that people are always going to take drugs, whatever anyone in authority says or does — so, recognising that, the best thing to do is to provide info so that they do so safely... is that right?
"By manufacturing pills at four times the average strength, effectively a dealer will be reducing the volume of drugs, the risk of detection and also the length of sentence if caught and convicted by four”
A number of UK festivals, including giant double-event Reading and Leeds, have announced plans to introduce safe drug testing spaces for punters this summer.
Head of Live Nation subsidiary Festival Republic, Melvin Benn, who also organises Latitude, V Festival, Wireless, told the Press Association he is being "very proactive" and expects “between six and 10 festivals" to take part this year if he gets the go-ahead from West Yorkshire Police and the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC).